Recharter Season 2018-2019
There are several changes that are happening this year.
1) Family Scouting Program
Effective June 11, the Family Pack Pilot Program became a formal part of Cub Scouts. Girls may now join any Cub Scout Packs that have decided to be a Family Pack.
In order to accept girls, the pack must “Opt-In.” To do so:
- One of the Key 3 must login into My.Scouting.org
- From MENU select the UNIT you want to update
- Select ORGANIZATION MANAGER
- Once in organization manager select the SETTINGS tab scroll all the way down
- Family Scouting select OPT-IN
- Family Scouting Effective Date – enter a date if, it isn’t populated
- Unit Can Accept – your choices are Boys Only, Girls Only or Both Boys and Girls
- After making your choice you must click on COMMIT
As a reminder, before opting-in, your Pack members must have had a conversation with your Charter Organization and you must agree that the Pack indeed is a Family Pack.
If there are any questions, please contact Denise Ellen at Denise.Ellen@scouting.org.
2) Youth Protection Training
Youth Protection Training will be required for all adult leaders at the time of registration. Unit leaders must obtain copies of the completion certificates from new leaders who register online before approving their application. Adult members transitioning to a different leader position must submit a paper application accompanied by a Youth Protection Training completion certificate.
New members will need to go to my.scouting.org, create a profile with The Spirit of Adventure Council, complete Youth Protection Training and then print or email the certificate.
***NEW*** National has rolled out a new version of the Youth Protection Training (YPT). This update is both to consolidate the previous multiple versions of YPT and to take into account the addition of girls to the Cub Scouting program and growing concern of bullying.
This new version of Youth Protection Training is MANDATORY for all registered leaders to take BEFORE October 1st. Even if a leader has taken Youth Protection Training within the past two years, they must complete this new version before October 1st. They will not be grandfathered in.
The new version is composed of a 3-module course and a final exam. You must complete all 3 modules before the exam, or you will not receive the certificate. As a reminder, all new leaders must have YPT in order to register. It is strongly encouraged for Lion/Tiger Adult Parents and other parents take it also.
Who is required to take YPT:
- All registered adult leaders (over 18)
- All Camp Staff
- Any adult participating in a 72-hour or longer trip/overnight, as this would require them to be registered in some capacity with the unit per BSA standards
- A Unit or Chartered Organization- at their discretion- may require additional people to complete Youth Protection Training
3) Registration Fee Increase
On Labor Day, the BSA officially announced that to offset rising costs, the BSA membership fee will increase from $24 to $33 for all registered youth and adult leaders, effective December 1, 2017.
Online Registration for NEW members went LIVE in June. Review how Online Registration works by reading "The Basics of Online Registration"
Online Registration Tips: Common Issues & Solutions we've noticed in the first few months
- Enter Unit Charter Renewal System (Note: The supported browsers are Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11)
- This year, Leaders can approve rosters electronically rather than by physical signatures: Instructions on Approving Online Charters
CORI and Youth Protection
Changing your Be A Scout Pin
The Be A Scout pins are ready to be updated for Family Scouting! Have your Charter Org. Rep. update, followed by your Cubmaster or other designated leader. (Your charter must be processed to accept online applications)
- Log on to my.scouting.org
- Click on the “Menu” button on left hand side
- Under your Cub Scout Pack, click on “Organization Manager”
- Under “Organization Manager” click on “Settings” at the top of the page
- On the settings page, scroll to the bottom
- At the bottom there is a section called “Family Scouting,” fill out this section and hit “commit”