The Spirit of Adventure Outdoor Ethics Committee is creating a patch program to recognize Cub Scout youth and adults who are active Leave No Trace practitioners and to encourage and promote ethical outdoor behavior from a young age.
Outdoor Ethics is needed today more than ever before as millions of scouts regularly recreate in parks and on public lands. The impact of this use cannot be ignored but it can be minimized by teaching and practicing Outdoor Ethics as Cub Scouts and continuing as Scouts BSA and adults.
This new Council award needs a great patch. Therefore, we are running a competition for Cub Scouts across the Council to design and submit their ideas for this patch.
You will need to create/design/draw/paint/color an original patch. Which must include the following:
- Spirit of Adventure or SOA
- Outdoor Ethics
- The fleur de lis
- The shape should be either circle, square or hexagon
- All entries should be submitted either as a word doc or pdf
- It must include your name, age, your Pack and Town, a contact email or phone number (parents please)
Entries should be emailed to [email protected] or dropped at the Council offices in Woburn. The deadline for your design to be submitted will be 5pm on May 14th, 2021.
The winner will be chosen from all the entries and announced in June and will get to see their design become a patch that all Cub Scouts in the Council can purchase.
Cub Scouts and their adult leaders will be able to earn this award.
The requirements will be
- Learn the BSA Outdoor Code.
- Watch the National Park Service Leave No Trace video: LNT Video
- Take the Leave No Trace online course with a parent: LNT Online Course
- Participate in a conservation-based service project with your den or pack.
- Participate in an Outdoor Ethics activity presented by a person who has taken the Outdoor Ethics Orientation, is a Leave No Trace Trainer or a Leave No Trace Master Educator.
Patches will be available for purchase at the end of summer 2021.